Re: FWIW: script vs. configurtion file

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:20:59 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 July 2014 21:36:23 Curt wrote:
> > And maybe more somewhere, more rules and regulations we can abuse
> > and break until we're banned like incurable lepers from the
> > community.
>
> Maybe he is thinking of the DFSG?  Or the Social Contract?
>
> Lisi

Hi Lisi,

It couldn't be those, because those say nothing about what topics are
on or off topic on any list. So far the only specific I've seen was at
https://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct :

Non-constructive or off-topic messages, along with other abuses, are not welcome.

I think it's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that a
discussion of the fins on Mopar products from the 1960's is offtopic
for Debian, but a discussion of how to write computer programs is
ontopic to many. Not an hour goes by when I don't use a program I've
written in order to do my job faster on Debian.

It's like this: I don't use RAID. I just back up, and if a disk goes
bad (once every 3 years) I just reinstall. I have no interest in RAID
related posts, but I don't call them offtopic, I just delete them. Many
people don't write their own programs. That doesn't make those who do
write their own programs, to help them function better with Linux,
offtopic.

At least that's how I see it.

SteveT