VLC error polluting terminal ( was: Re: testing-dedicated ML? ( was Re: End of hypocrisy ? ) )

Le 22.07.2014 00:00, Paul E Condon a écrit :
Please help.

Wow nice off-topic... I have no idea about where this is related to the question of the interest of splitting debian-user ML into a stable and a testing ML...

Anyway, we can guess from what you posted that you have started vlc somewhere.

To add to what other have replied, I guess that you have started VLC with the same terminal you use for mutt, with an invocation like this "vlc &". If I'm right, then those messages are "normal", you summoned VLC from a terminal, VLC use it as stdin, stdout and stderr. For a reason I do not know, it have some problems with some requests which has been sent to it, so it complains on it's stderr.

There are more than one solutions:

* start VLC from another terminal or a graphic stuff(alt+F2 is a common shortcut under linux's DEs to summon a dialog to start things), so that it won't pollute your mutt terminal
* start VLC through nohup, like this "$ nohup vlc&"
* start VLC and redirect it standard outputs (which is what nohup does) for example into /dev/null: "$ vlc >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &"

Hope it helps.

Since we are here, if you are a terminal user, you might find mpd + mpc (and other frontends like ario, ncmpcpp, lot of widgets to pin on taskbars, and lot of other clients) interesting. The stronger point about mpd+mpc is that you'll be able to integrate it into your window manager, because mpd is a daemon and mpc a command-line tool, so it's damn easy to bind mpc to the shortcuts you want. For videos, you might use mplayer or mpv, which are more specialized and so lighter than VLC.