Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

Am Freitag, 18. Juli 2014, 13:19:21 schrieb The Wanderer:
> On 07/18/2014 12:56 PM, Slavko wrote:
> > Ahoj,
> >
> > Dňa Fri, 18 Jul 2014 18:10:58 +0200 Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org>
> >
> > napísal:
> >> That's quite afalse this... count every package which depends
> >> direectly or indirectly on systemd, often without real need...
> >
> > If you can decide this (i an not able this), please fill bugreport
> > about unneeded dependency against this (these) package(s).
>
> I think (not having done the research to verify this) that the idea is
> that some - many? - packages need PAM, and depend (perhaps indirectly)
> on an appropriate package for that, but that package now depends
> (perhaps indirectly) on libpam-systemd, which depends on 'systemd-sysv |
> systemd-shim', which results in systemd-sysv getting installed without
> notice, even though the original package didn't need systemd in the
> first place.

Currently upgrading systemd from 204 to recent version in unstable 208 causes
sysvinit-core to be removed. See:

Needs to be updated for the single cgroup manager changes in systemd v205
https://bugs.debian.org/752939

I am not comfortable with the upload of systemd 208 as I do not want to
deinstall sysvinit-core at the moment, but rather use init=/bin/systemd and be
able to switch back to /sbin/init in case of boot troubles or so.

After decision making has taken a long time, it feels a bit rushed to me. But
well… freeze is not that far away.

The single cgroup stuff also is in Linux kernel already and the older mutiple
hierarchy cgroup setup will likely be deprecated.

My gut feeling it that I would like cgroup handling separate, but on the other
hand its the mechanism systemd uses to monitor service / process status and I
think I read someone I think on the blog from Lennart, that its not safe do
the cgroup handling in anything else than PID 1 then.

Sometimes I just wonder about:

merkaba:~> ls -l /sbin/init
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 40552 Jun  8 01:32 /sbin/init
merkaba:~> ls -l /bin/systemd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jun 28 13:28 /bin/systemd -> /lib/systemd/systemd
merkaba:~> ls -l /lib/systemd/systemd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1031520 Jun 28 13:28 /lib/systemd/systemd

PID 1 is crucial in an Linux system. If it crashes there will be lots of
trouble. Thats why I tend to think: Small is beautiful here. A about 1 MiB
binary is not small for me for the tasks I think a PID 1 is supposed to
handle.

But that said: systemd PID 1 process never ever crashed here. Not even in
earlier (44) versions.

Ciao,