Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On 07/18/2014 12:56 PM, Slavko wrote:

> Ahoj,
>
> Dňa Fri, 18 Jul 2014 18:10:58 +0200 Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org>
> napísal:
>
>> That's quite afalse this... count every package which depends
>> direectly or indirectly on systemd, often without real need...
>
> If you can decide this (i an not able this), please fill bugreport
> about unneeded dependency against this (these) package(s).

I think (not having done the research to verify this) that the idea is
that some - many? - packages need PAM, and depend (perhaps indirectly)
on an appropriate package for that, but that package now depends
(perhaps indirectly) on libpam-systemd, which depends on 'systemd-sysv |
systemd-shim', which results in systemd-sysv getting installed without
notice, even though the original package didn't need systemd in the
first place.

The only ways I can see to break this dependency would be to either pull
the needed functionality out of systemd (which apparently is considered
hard enough to not be worth doing, at least by the systemd upstream) or
reverse the order of that '|' dependency, which I believe has been
rejected on the not unreasonable grounds that it would result in not
installing systemd even for people who *don't* care about having it. (As
well as on the grounds that systemd-shim won't continue to provide the
needed functionality for newer systemd versions, unless people update it
in ways that haven't happened yet.)

Given the lack of good ways to break the dependency chain, and the
likelihood that any reports of the dependency chain as a problem would
be seen as (possibly insincere) troublemaking, filing its existence as a
bug report doesn't seem worth the likely (lack of) result.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.