Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On 07/18/2014 02:26 PM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Freitag, 18. Juli 2014, 13:19:21 schrieb The Wanderer:
>
>> On 07/18/2014 12:56 PM, Slavko wrote:

>>> If you can decide this (i an not able this), please fill
>>> bugreport about unneeded dependency against this (these)
>>> package(s).
>>
>> I think (not having done the research to verify this) that the idea
>> is that some - many? - packages need PAM, and depend (perhaps
>> indirectly) on an appropriate package for that, but that package
>> now depends (perhaps indirectly) on libpam-systemd, which depends
>> on 'systemd-sysv | systemd-shim', which results in systemd-sysv
>> getting installed without notice, even though the original package
>> didn't need systemd in the first place.
>
> Currently upgrading systemd from 204 to recent version in unstable
> 208 causes sysvinit-core to be removed. See:
>
> Needs to be updated for the single cgroup manager changes in systemd
> v205
> https://bugs.debian.org/752939

According to comments on which, an updated systemd-shim that does
provide the needed functionality to let people (at least manually) avoid
this is awaiting the arrival of the new 'cgmanager' package, which is in
the NEW queue.

See:

Looks like there was a maintainership dispute briefly, but it's been
resolved now, and (barring delays on the ftpmaster side) cgmanager may
get in fairly soon - which would let the updated systemd-shim get in,
and restore the ability to use libpam-systemd without running systemd as
init.

Still not entirely ideal, but far better from the perspective of those
who wish to avoid systemd than the way things have sometimes looked to
have been trending.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.