Re: networked multi-function colour laser printers

On 07/14/2014 03:04 PM, Richard Lyons wrote:
On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 13:37:39 -0400, Doug wrote:

On 07/14/2014 10:45 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
I can't speak for Debian, but I am using an Epson WP-4530
multifunction. I have never had to load a driver for it in
PCLinuxOS-KDE or in Mint KDE, which uses Ubuntu software.
I am tempted by the Epson WorkForce range -- but past experience with
ink-jet printers makes me suspicious.  In periods of low use, don't the
nozzles clog?  They say the inks are water resistant, but dont sweaty or
moist hands smudge the print?  And most importantly, do the colours
survive a few months pinned on the wall, or does daylight bleach them?

If you have found they run under Mint, it is a good sign that they will
work under Debian.

richard

I'm afraid I might have misled you. I DID need to install a printer
driver from Epson, after which it prints everything, including
the scanned image. It does not need a scanner driver--XSane
is smart enough to take care of that. The Epson drivers are
available in .deb and .rpm formats. When you go to Firefox,
specify Epson Linux drivers, and go to Epson--the other
listed source is way obsolete.

I haven't put any of the prints up on the wall, but there is a
photo that has been sitting out face up on a table in the
room with my computers for at least 3 months, and I don't
see any deterioration. Ordinary handling of printouts has not
caused any smearing that I have noticed. I am very happy with the
color, and there are a whole batch of adjustments available if
you don't like how it looks, but I haven't touched any of them.

I think I have heard of some archival quality inks, but I have
never investigated that.  I imagine the price is prohibitive.

I use ONLY Epson inks. Some years ago I had to throw out an
inkjet printer after I used some off-brand ink in it and it
clogged up the jets and I couldn't get to them to clean them.
(I also use only HP toner in my LaserJet for similar reasons.)

I have copied color photos with the scanner and printer with
excellent results.

The printer is now available from Epson for $109, free shipping!
(I just looked it up.) There must be a newer model coming out.

--doug