Re: networked multi-function colour laser printers

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:13:22 +0100
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps someone here has already solved this:
>
> I have wasted another 20 hours trying to get sane (or anything that
> scans) to see a networked Samsung CLX-4195FN. And this is s journey I
> have travelled before with a B+W Brother MFP which ran for a few years
> under various flavours of Debian with the help of endless playing with
> the drivers provided by Brother.  Samsung also provide drivers, and I
> have had the machine operating under Arch and Debian Stable for some
> months.  But I need to run sid to have later versions of other
> software, hence my current predicament.  I need to replace the
> Samsung with something that really will run under sid.  I am looking
> for a colour laser MFC  (no need for fax).  It must be networked
> (ethernet is fine, though wifi would be ok), and modestly priced --
> small business model, say in the £200-400 range.
>
> I see that HP and OKI both claim to offer Linux drivers, for example.
> The sane-project.org website never has the current models, however,
> so I would like to hear any positive experience others have had
> before buying another expensive failure.
>
> TIA
>
> richard

If I'm reading your post correctly, you have no problem printing to
this printer, only scanning. Perhaps you can do what I did...

My Brother MFC8810DW multifunction is Linux compatable, and I even got
the thing to scan from my computer a couple times. But it was so darn
difficult I gave up and simply scanned to a thumb drive plugged into
the printer's USB, and then sneakernetted the thumb to my computer.
Yeah, it's a 1976 solution, but I don't spend time getting sane to
work, and for the amount I scan, it's not particularly a burden.

If that works, maybe you can keep the printer you have now.

SteveT