Re: networked multi-function colour laser printers

On 07/14/2014 10:45 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:13:22 +0100
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

Hi,

Perhaps someone here has already solved this:

I have wasted another 20 hours trying to get sane (or anything that
scans) to see a networked Samsung CLX-4195FN. And this is s journey I
have travelled before with a B+W Brother MFP which ran for a few years
under various flavours of Debian with the help of endless playing with
the drivers provided by Brother.  Samsung also provide drivers, and I
have had the machine operating under Arch and Debian Stable for some
months.  But I need to run sid to have later versions of other
software, hence my current predicament.  I need to replace the
Samsung with something that really will run under sid.  I am looking
for a colour laser MFC  (no need for fax).  It must be networked
(ethernet is fine, though wifi would be ok), and modestly priced --
small business model, say in the £200-400 range.

I see that HP and OKI both claim to offer Linux drivers, for example.
The sane-project.org website never has the current models, however,
so I would like to hear any positive experience others have had
before buying another expensive failure.

TIA

richard
If I'm reading your post correctly, you have no problem printing to
this printer, only scanning. Perhaps you can do what I did...

My Brother MFC8810DW multifunction is Linux compatable, and I even got
the thing to scan from my computer a couple times. But it was so darn
difficult I gave up and simply scanned to a thumb drive plugged into
the printer's USB, and then sneakernetted the thumb to my computer.
Yeah, it's a 1976 solution, but I don't spend time getting sane to
work, and for the amount I scan, it's not particularly a burden.

If that works, maybe you can keep the printer you have now.

SteveT

I can't speak for Debian, but I am using an Epson WP-4530
multifunction. I have never had to load a driver for it in
PCLinuxOS-KDE or in Mint KDE, which uses Ubuntu software.
I think Ubuntu is fairly close to Debian in the way it handles
software. I just run XSane and it copies. Epson has Linux
drivers for just about all their products. This mfp has usb
and Ethernet inputs. It does very nice color and is fast.
I think it might also do WIFI, but I don't use that.
It also does FAX, even tho you said you don't need it. I've
used the FAX output only two or three times, but it's handy
to have when you want to send something to a doctor or
a lawyer--they don't seem to know about email! (I haven't
run the FAX from the computer--I just print out a page and
then FAX it by hand from the machine directly.)
For what it's worth, it will also copy from Windows without
installing a driver, but the Windows copy apps leave
something to be desired, I've found.

--doug