Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Mon 14 Jul 2014 at 22:29:33 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 08:43:46AM +0000, Curt wrote:
> > I've seen documentation suggesting you can create a bootable usb stick
> > with a simple feline, but it appears this is now restricted
> > permissions-wise in version systemd/204-10 to the root user (or a member
> > of the disk group)
>
> http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Standard_Groups.html
>
> "This group has write access to all the raw disk devices (/dev/hd* and
> /dev/sd*), so assigning users to group disk is both dangerous and a
> security risk."

On Wheezy udev placed removable devices in group 'floppy', which is one
of the default group assignments created by d-i for the first user. On
Jessie udev puts removable devices in group 'disk', As you imply, no
user should ever a member of the 'disk' group.

It should be noted the change is completely independent of which init
system is used. (Which was the point of the tale against myself).