Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

Le 10.07.2014 19:42, Steve Litt a écrit :
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:49:54 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 09.07.2014 23:11, Mark Carroll a écrit :
> berenger.morel@neutralite.org writes:

>>> Hang on, that sounds scary. I'll still be able to launch something >>> from the shell (maybe in an xterm) with a trailing & to put it in >>> the background, and then log out and it will keep on going, right?
>>>
>>> I may not have been paying enough attention ...
> (snip)
>> I thought that, currently, if you close the parent of "something"
>> you
>> have started with '&', "something" will die.
>> Do you speak about nohup instead?
>
> Not knowingly. I ssh in to a machine with bash as my login shell,
> start
> something in the background, log out, log back in, and it's still
> running. For instance,
>
> mtbc@samuel:~$ sleep 12345 &
> [1] 4052
> mtbc@samuel:~$ exit
> logout
> Connection to samuel closed.
>
> but reconnect later and,
>
> mtbc@samuel:~$ ps awux | grep sleep
> mtbc      4052  0.0  0.0   5792   352 ?        S    22:08   0:00
> sleep 12345
> mtbc      4138  0.0  0.1   8028   836 pts/3    S+   22:08   0:00
> grep sleep

I just did that, and you are true, it works.
But, when I do that with iceweasel, iceweasel is closed when I exit
the terminal... I guess I just do not understant at all the behavior
of the '&' and will need more reading.

berenger.morel,

The plot thickens. How did you exit the terminal? Did you File->Close
or type exit at the command prompt, or did you use a window manager
"close window" command (usually Alt+F4)? It makes a difference.

Yes, now I understand that it's different. I used my window manager shortcut to close windows. With the exit command, it does not close, as people here said, but this is something I would not had imagined. That kind of threads remind me that I'm a real newbie in the linux world, I like this!