Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

Le 09.07.2014 23:11, Mark Carroll a écrit :
berenger.morel@neutralite.org writes:

Le 09.07.2014 15:40, Mark Carroll a écrit :
Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk> writes:

On 09/07/14 05:07, Steve Litt wrote:
[regarding double fork]
In other words, it's going to bust my program, right?

Maybe. Do the programs you launch need to outlive your session? If
so,
your launcher program's design will run into problems in a systemd
world.

If not, you should be fine.

Hang on, that sounds scary. I'll still be able to launch something
from the shell (maybe in an xterm) with a trailing & to put it in
the background, and then log out and it will keep on going, right?

I may not have been paying enough attention ...
(snip)
I thought that, currently, if you close the parent of "something" you
have started with '&', "something" will die.
Do you speak about nohup instead?

Not knowingly. I ssh in to a machine with bash as my login shell, start
something in the background, log out, log back in, and it's still
running. For instance,

mtbc@samuel:~$ sleep 12345 &
[1] 4052
mtbc@samuel:~$ exit
logout
Connection to samuel closed.

but reconnect later and,

mtbc@samuel:~$ ps awux | grep sleep
mtbc 4052 0.0 0.0 5792 352 ? S 22:08 0:00 sleep 12345 mtbc 4138 0.0 0.1 8028 836 pts/3 S+ 22:08 0:00 grep sleep

I just did that, and you are true, it works.
But, when I do that with iceweasel, iceweasel is closed when I exit the terminal... I guess I just do not understant at all the behavior of the '&' and will need more reading.