Re: how to obtain pkg not available for my version (jessie)

> The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> On 07/08/2014 09:45 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>>> How does one obtain pkgs (encfs in this case) that are not available
>>> to an `aptitude' search of pkgs for jessie?
>>>
>>> It appears that the pkg in question (encfs) is available for wheezy.
>>>
>>>   https://packages.debian.org/stable/encfs
>>>
>>> So how to get to it, without jacking up my sources.list or some other
>>> pitfall?
>>
>> http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/encfs/
>>

> [...]
>
>> You might want to look into *why* this was removed from jessie,
>> though...
>
> Good point... a little googling hasn't revealed anything definitive,
> but I often seem to be using poor search terms.
>
> I've found comments to the effect that encfs has multiple security
> issues... I did not find a clear description of what they are.
>
> Does anyone here know why encfs was not included in `jessie'?

There are two bugs with severity "serious" open against encfs:

encfs was removed from jessie in April because of bugs 736066, and
741810.  741810 is fixed in unstable, but that fixed package introduces
bug 745792.

Much detail at https://packages.qa.debian.org/e/encfs.html

--
regards,