Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2014 17:57:51 -0400
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Steve Litt
>> <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

>>> Dam, dude, doublefork is how my Umenu hierarchical menu works. If
>>> that breaks, a program I've used since 1998 goes down the toilet.
>>>
>>> Let me ask you this: If doublefork is banned, how does one keep
>>> working with the child program when the parent is terminated,
>>> without using that stupid nohup command that continually grows its
>>> own, huge and insecure nohup.out files, in whatever its current
>>> directory happens to be?
>>>
>>> I certainly hope that systemd isn't cancelling a design pattern used
>>> since the dawn of time.
>>
>> You can use "Type=forking" in a service file.
>
> In other words, it's going to bust my program, right?

Why are you so pessimistic! :)

>From the man page:

If set to forking it is expected that the process configured with ExecStart=
will call fork() as part of its start-up. The parent process is expected to exit
when start-up is complete and all communication channels set up. The child
continues to run as the main daemon process. This is the behavior of traditional
UNIX daemons. If this setting is used, it is recommended to also use the
PIDFile= option, so that systemd can identify the main process of the daemon.
systemd will proceed starting follow-up units as soon as the parent process
exits.