Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2014 17:55:15 -0400
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

FTR, since you seem to have misunderstood, I copied and pasted someone
else's comments on OpenRC.

>> If we're going to the effort of
>> replacing init systems and changing our startup scripts, a bare
>> minimum requirement for me is that we at least address the known
>> weaknesses of the sysvinit mechanism, namely:
>>
>> * Lack of integration with kernel-level events to properly order
>> startup.
>
> I don't want to be integrated with kernel level events. Give me a thin
> interface and let me go. I'm a big believer in encapsulation.

It depends on your use case.

See this post by one of the Debian and upstream sysvinit developers:

>> * No mechanism for process monitoring and restarting beyond inittab.
>
> :-) Maybe start your processes with Daemontools.
>
> I'm serious. If a process is that important that it needs to restart
> the instant it terminates, Daemontools can do that. I don't know what
> kind of monitoring you envision, but Daemontools has the svc and svok
> and svstat commands. And the cool thing about Daemontools is you just
> write a script to run the program from a terminal, wrap it in a couple
> things, and it's a daemon. Complete with logging. *Text* logging.

I'm not familiar with daemontools, I just know that it exists and what
it's for. If it's so wonderful why wasn't installed by default by any
distro? Or was process supervision never considered a plus except by
the systemd developers.

"*Text* logging": The Debian systemd default is to enable text logging
by having "ForwardToSyslog=yes" in "/etc/systemd/journal.conf" and
rsyslog installed. Since the Debian "/etc/systemd/journal.conf"
storage default is "Storage=auto", you can delete "/var/log/journal"
and the journald logs will be only stored on tmpfs in
"/run/log/journal". You can achieve the same result by changing
"Storage=auto" to "Storage=volatile". You can go further and set
"Storage=none" to avoid having any journald logs stored and have the
logs forwarded to rsyslog (if you haven't changed that the default
Debian systemd forward setting).