Re: GTK crashing X?

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014, Matt Ventura wrote:

On 6/30/2014 10:13 AM, Brian wrote:
On Mon 30 Jun 2014 at 09:11:01 -0700, Matt Ventura wrote:

The system otherwise works completely fine. Packages operations work
fine, so I don't think that's where the problem lies. There was no
downgrading, just upgraded to testing and it didn't work, figured I
might as well check if it was fixed in unstable since it was a fresh
install so there was nothing to lose.

It looks like stable has 1:7.7+3~deb7u1 for xserver-xorg, 2.24.10-2
for gtk2, and 3.4.2-7 for gtk3. Testing has 1:7.7+7, 2.24.23-1, and
3.12.2-1+b1.  Unstable is the same except gtk2 is 2.24.23-1.
Considering we don't know exactly where you started from and your
upgrading is not repeatable (making thoughts of bugs premature), what
are your thoughts now?

1. Reinstall stable and stick with it? (After all, it worked).

2. Go for Jessie? (In a slightly different way than previously).

Well, all I did was netinstall stable with xfce, log in once,
add testing repos, and dist-upgrade. [...]

in OP it was mentioned that lightdm was messed up after dist-upgrade.

i am curious whether that dist-upgrade was started within an x session
managed by some x display manager.

if so, see

 http://www.debian.org/./releases/wheezy/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrade-preparations

I could just try directly netinstalling testing, and if it's broken
out of the box then it's almost certainly a bug, right?

-wes