Re: GTK crashing X?

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:16:58AM -0700, Matt Ventura wrote:
> I've got a pretty old machine (Celeron 2.8 GHz, ATI rage XL). It's been
> running Debian fine for years, but I reinstalled recently. Installed stable
> (chose XFCE as desktop environment), everything worked fine (lightdm worked,
> xfce worked). Did a dist-upgrade to testing (also tried unstable), and now

Did you downgrade to testing from unstable?

> neither lightdm nor xfce works (lightdm goes into an endless crash loop,
> xfce sends me back to the login screen). I can manually start an X server,
> and it can display basic programs like xclock fine. But as soon as I start a
> GTK application (or at least I think it's GTK causing the problem), X
> crashes with "Segmentation fault at address 0xc" "Fatal server error: Caught
> signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting". There's nothing in the log
> immediately before the error other than the backtrace.
>
> There doesn't appear to be a problem with any of those components
> individually, since xfce and individual applications will both run perfectly
> fine if I display them on another machine's X, so I'm not even sure what to
> file a bug under.

I'd check the package versions from what you say above about trying stable
unstable and testing. Is the system in a sane state? i.e. does an
apt-get update/upgrade occur without issue?

Just as an aside, if stable was working fine why did you upgrade?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X