Re: Post-installation: how to auto-configure network adapter (ie. enable internet access)?

Let me summarize for you:

You don't know what those commands do. And you dare not admit it to me.

It's OK. A man has to save his face sometimes.

From: The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm>
To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 7, 2014 12:27 AM
Subject: Re: Post-installation: how to auto-configure network adapter (ie. enable internet access)?

(Is there a reason why your mail has a Reply-To header with your own
address in it? That would tend to take the discussion off-list, which
while not necessarily inappropriate given the extent to which this is
becoming less on-topic, is not something I would have expected you to
want.)

On 06/06/2014 11:56 AM, Horatio Leragon wrote:

[that on 2014-06-06 at 21:19, The Wanderer wrote:]

>> I would not consider those "awesome answers".
>
> Envy and jealousy is bad for health --I mean mental health.

Ad hominem attacks, especially ones without visible basis, are bad
argument and do not make for good discussion. (Or good neighbors.)

> From the time I asked questions till now, I have yet to see your
> "awesome" answers.

That's odd, considering you've thanked me multiple times for providing
detailed explanations for things.

Regardless, I'm not claiming to have provided "awesome" answers. I'm
saying that the answers you described as "awesome", which you received
elsewhere, are not ones to which I would apply that term.

>> They don't explain anything; they may let you get something done,
>> but they don't help you understand what you're doing, why you're
>> doing it, or > why doing it that way works when doing it a
>> different way wouldn't.
>
> Do you think that I have learned things here? Zilch!
>
> All that I've heard on this list is a lot of preachy stuff.

I think that says more about you than it does about the answers you've
received here.

>> Answers like that don't help you learn.
>
> Oh yeah? You think you're better than the Linux experts who gave me
> the answer?

Not necessarily; I don't know them, or who they are, or what they know.

> Tell you what. If you can explain in detail what the following
> commands do, I may, in future, pay more attention to what you have to
> say. (Talk is cheap.)
>
> apt-cache search java | awk '{print($1)}' | grep -E -e '^(ia32-)?(sun|oracle)-java' -e
'^openjdk-' -e '^icedtea' -e '^(default|gcj)-j(re|dk)' -e
'^gcj-(.*)-j(re|dk)' -e 'java-common' | xargs sudo apt-get -y remove

You've appeared to pay attention to what I had to say in the past...

And yes, I could explain in detail what each component of both of those
commands does - although I wouldn't be sure you'd understand the
explanation, since I don't know what you already know.

There wouldn't be much point to my doing so, however, since the goal is
for *you* to learn. (Not to be taught, but to learn - the difference
being that the latter involves more actual study.)

Reading commands like that is not a good way to learn, unless you
already know a fair amount about the subject.

People have tried to point you to resources which *could* help you
learn, even if you don't already know much about the subject. I don't
intend to speculate on the reasons, but it doesn't seem to have done any
good.

> (Explain to me in detail what the above command does. Prove that
> besides being a good pontificator, you are equally good at helping
> stupid people like me learn.)

I'm OK, though not necessarily great, at helping someone who wants to
learn. In fact, I often like doing it.

I'm not particularly good at, or particularly interested in, helping
someone who isn't interested in learning - and the overall impression I
get from the total body of your posts to this list so far is that you
are not particularly interested in learning, rather than in just getting
a single answer (and then another, and then another).

(Also, "good pontificator"? While I might be, I'm not sure where I've
been pontificating here lately, or necessarily here at all...)

- --
  The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.