Re: Post-installation: how to auto-configure network adapter (ie. enable internet access)?

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Horatio Leragon <hleragon@yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
>>
>> On Debian that would be "isc-dhcp-client".
>
> The writer of the guide states that it (the guide) is for Debian users. And
> you're telling me he's wrong.
>
> I'm really confused.
>
> I think I need a second opinion.

You're easily confused.

The default dhcp client on Debian is dhclient which is provided by
isc-dhcp-client, previously dhcp3-client.

I doubt that dhcp3-client has ever provided dhcpcd, even in 2008. So
that debianist notes page is incorrect. I'd trust Bob if I were you;
especially since it's MORONIC to define an interface in
"/etc/network/interfaces" and then advise a user to acquire an ip
address with a dhcp client rather than with ifup or service.