Re: Sawfish and Openbox: was fastest linux distro

> You mention making an .Xdefaults/.Xresources in my home directory. Can
> I safely assume the slash meant either/or, rather than directory/file?
> I already had a .Xdefaults, but it was a config file, not a directory.

Yes, the slash meant either/or. Xdefaults is the older way of doing it, I still prefer it.

> Can I safely assume that if I change "Xft:dpi 96" to "Xft:dpi 48", my
> fonts are going to get noticibly bigger if this thing's working? That
> would be another test.

This line is for your dpi settings. On a laptop that is often 96 like in my case. I would try your real dpi settings here, not anything else because that can screw with the monitor.
To test your dpi settings from the command line:

xdpyinfo | grep resolution

That will give you the value you need.

> Why did you set Xft:hintstyle to "hintlight" instead of "hintmassively"
> or whatever the hintiest setting could be?

I prefer it slight. Here you can test additionally with "hintfull" (very thin) and probably "hintmedium".

I think the Arch Wiki has a nice entry about it:

https://wiki.archlinux.de/title/Xdefaults

In any case you could also apply one thing more that was mentioned here to make fonts even better.
Making a .fonts.conf file in your home folder.

I think at this point I link you to my fonts how-to for Debian (Openbox).

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=196047#p196047

Eventually I switched completely to Infinality and love it.

http://www.infinality.net/blog/

--
David Dusanic