Re: Assange and NSA

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> >>There are 13 root servers, all over the world.  Root servers are
> >>owned by various organizations and managed by ICANN.  The US
> >>Department of Commerce has nothing to do with them.
> >
> >No, there are hundreds of them.

http://www.root-servers.org/

There are approximately 377 root-server instances, some of those are rather
large and powerful clusters with global visibility, but many are single
boxes and small clusters only reachable by directly-connected networks
(hosted in IXPs, usually).

It is all hidden behind just a few anycast addresses.

> >http://blog.icann.org/2007/11/there-are-not-13-root-servers/
>
> I'll believe this official statement from ICANN over a blog...

Brazil alone has at least 19 dns root name server instances (e-, f-, i-, j-
and l-root).  I know that first hand: I've seen two of the l-root single-box
instances (and helped install one of them), as well as the i-root cluster
instance.

  Henrique Holschuh