Re: Anyone using exim with fastmail.fm's smtp server as smart host?

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 06:22:49PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm trying to setup exim4 in a situation that has got to be pretty
> common. (Other than perhaps the choice of smtp server)
>
> In general it is:
>
> single user home machine running debian
>
> send mail to remote addresses by `smart host'
>
> Retrieve mail by fetchmail, or in some accounts just
> use Imap and don't fetch the messages.
>
> But in all cases I must use a smarthost.  In this case it is the smtp
> server `mail.messagingengine.com'.   I have successfully setup
> sendmail on a debian machine in the past with this same smart host.
> It necessitated using an `authinfo' file with a certain syntax.
>
> So my SmartHost is an authenticating Smart host... it also seemed
> to require me to masquerade as another mail provider.
>
> I used `newsguy.com' since I have accounts with them.  Mail was made
> to appear as if it had originated at newsguy.com
>
> Some of those same things, no doubt, will be required, and I've tried
> several different configs.
>
> What I hoped is that someone here would be in a similar situation and
> might be able to offer some input to get this going.
>
> Call me lazy, but I really really do NOT want to pound thru piles and
> piles of exim documentation... .  I'm willing to do some reading
> but not interested in becoming an exim adept... I doubt I would make
> the cut... with 10-15 yrs training.

According to
https://www.fastmail.fm/help/technical/servernamesandports.html what you
require is mail.messagingengine.com port 465 (old-style SSL) or port 587
(with STARTTLS). You shouldn't need to pretend to be anyone else to send
your email.

For exim,
http://www.manu-j.com/blog/wordpress-exim4-ubuntu-gmail-smtp/75/
suggests to set the smarthost to "mail.messagingengine.com::587" (when
using debconf) and to add a new routing driver. Probably easiest to just
read that page for the information you require, replacing smtp.gmail.com
with mail.messagingengine.com as appropriate.