So my SmartHost is an authenticating Smart host... it also seemed
to require me to masquerade as another mail provider.

I used `newsguy.com' since I have accounts with them.  Mail was made
to appear as if it had originated at newsguy.com

Some of those same things, no doubt, will be required, and I've tried
several different configs.

What I hoped is that someone here would be in a similar situation and
might be able to offer some input to get this going.

Call me lazy, but I really really do NOT want to pound thru piles and
piles of exim documentation... .  I'm willing to do some reading
but not interested in becoming an exim adept... I doubt I would make
the cut... with 10-15 yrs training.