Re: FSF condemns partnership between Mozilla and Adobe to support Digital Restrictions Management

On 5/20/14, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 5/20/14, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:40:56 +1000
>> Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Very eloquent and beautiful words.
>>> Thank you Slavko.
>>
>> But this is precisely the problem with some of the dogmatic idealists
>> here - by this logic, we should abolish criminal justice entirely, as
>> it's virtually impossible to guarantee that "no one blameless" will
>> ever be "persecuted":
>> http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/guilty.htm
>
> I don't remember reading the words Slavko posted before, but the way I
> read it is as:
> "we must make our best efforts to not persecute blameless people" and
> "if blameless people are being persecuted, we must make more efforts
> [eg with our criminal justice system - to fix this problem]".
>
> So not abolish criminal justice, but make more efforts in this system
> to reduce/minimize persecution/punishment of people who should not be
> punished.
>
> Of course perfection cannot be achieved in reality, I agree.

To me this is similar to "our government has a duty of care to us, its
people, and at the moment seems to be failing rather dismally in
various ways" and but with the flip side of "we the people have a duty
of care to clean/fix our government/institutions".

It is so easy to point the finger and say "there's a problem", and my
answer is "so what are you going to do to help work towards a
solution".

Regards
Zenaan