Re: FSF condemns partnership between Mozilla and Adobe to support Digital Restrictions Management

On Vi, 16 mai 14, 15:38:17, Curt wrote:
> On 2014-05-15, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> https://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-condemns-partnership-between-mozilla-and-ado=
> > be-to-support-digital-restrictions-management
> >

> >     I use RMS as a guide in the same way that a boat captain would use a
> >     lighthouse.  It's good to know where it is, but you generally don't want
> >     to find yourself in the same spot.
> >         -- seen on debian-devel
>
> How about Cory Doctorow (or is he another lighthouse?)
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/14/firefox-closed-source-drm-video-browser-cory-doctorow

Quote from that article:

    By open-sourcing the sandbox that limits the Adobe software’s access
    to the system, Mozilla is making it auditable and verifiable. This
    is a much better deal than users will get out of any of the rival
    browsers, like Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer, and it is a
    meaningful and substantial difference.

Do you really think somebody who pays the subscription fee for HBO GO,
or any other such service will not dump Firefox the second she realises
it isn't able to play the stream?

I think Mozilla's stance to DRM and (to get somewhat back on topic)
Debian's stance on non-free software in general and firmware in
particular is good to the masses of users who don't know or don't care
about their digital freedoms.

It sends the message "look, this (DRM, non-free software, firmware,
etc.) is *bad* for you. Normally it shouldn't even be necessary for you
to install it. Unfortunately X, Y and Z will not work without it, so if
you really need this we'll do our best to protect you from the evil
things it might do, though this is not always possible. Maybe you
consider this on your next service, hardware, etc. purchase."

Yes, FSF and Cory Doctorow and all others are right to make noise about
this (DRM and so). It raises awareness, it sets ideals, etc., but when
you're vastly outnumbered ideals won't win the war. And neither does
attacking your allies.

Kind regards,
Andrei