Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On 5/19/2014 7:40 AM, Joel Rees wrote:>> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Jerry.
>>>
>>> You speak loudly.
>>>
>>> Zenaan
>>>

>> And truthfully.  Ask your attorney.
>>
>> Jerry
>
> My attorney says your interpretation of the legal support for
> licensing is viewed by the courts as going beyond what the courts
> recognize and what the DMCA, even, allows.

My attorney disagrees - and two cases I brought to protect my copyrights confirm my attorney is correct.

> Significantly beyond, even in the current legal climate of having to
> bow to the content creators.

Not in the United States.

> Content creators who seem to forget that they do not create in a
> vacuum, and who often forget their legal obligation of attribution,
> among many other things.

It depends on what you create, and if there is any attribution necessary. Just because you create something does not mean there is attribution required.

> Just because you can write a program doesn't somehow grant you the
> right that it should run.

I never said it did.

> Likewise, just because you can write a license doesn't somehow grant
> you the right to enforce every term you put in it.

Unless there is something in the license which violates the law, I can enforce every term I put in it. That is because YOU have accepted the terms of the license when using my material. YOUR AGREEMENT makes the license completely enforceable.

> I'm not sure why you are being so extreme in your assertions, but your
> bluster undermines your argument. And it doesn't encourage anyone to
> respect the terms of licenses.
>
> Perhaps that's your purpose, to undermine the creditability of content licenses?

Nope. It is to point out what copyright law protects. Some people think just because they got a copy of something they can do anything they want with it. That is definitely not true.

And I am arguing FOR the terms of the license. And if you don't like the license, don't use the material. It's easy.

Jerry