Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On 5/16/14, Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:
> On 15/05/14 04:04 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> On Jo, 15 mai 14, 00:27:08, Gary Dale wrote:
>>> To not remove digital restrictions support undermines a
>>> major strength of Debian. If people want DRM, they can always download
>>> Firefox but they should have a choice for freedom.
>> There is no need to remove *support* for DRM, as long as it is Free
>> Software (according to Debian's definition). Whether to use it (or not)
>> must be the choice of the user.
>>
> I disagree again. The presence of DRM material is an affront to the open
> nature of the web.

The 'open nature of the web' is an affront to those with proprietary
mindsets who wish to close the web and monetize all human activity.

The question is how best to handle this affront to the affront to the
open web. There are different yet valid strategies.

> Mozilla's decision to cave in to the DRM crowd
> doesn't need to be echoed by Debian. DRM isn't a user's choice. It's the
> choice of the site owners. Groups like Debian should be backing the FSF
> on this by refusing to endorse web content restrictions.

A valid strategy. Not the only one which might be effective in the
long run. Your proposed strategy to reclaim the open web might be the
most effective one, I don't know.

Good luck
Zenaan