Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On 5/15/14, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jo, 15 mai 14, 00:27:08, Gary Dale wrote:
>> I disagree. Browser support for DRM makes it easier for people to provide
>> content that uses DRM. After all, if every browser supports it, why not
>> use it?
>>
>> Debian is based on freedom. Iceweasel exists because Firefox contained
>> proprietary parts.
>
> Iceweasel exists because the trademark policy for Firefox requires all
> changes to the browser to be approved my the Mozilla Corporation and
> this conflicts with Debian's usual security support strategy for stable.
>
> Lately Mozilla has been providing the ESR and Debian has been upgrading
> iceweasel in wheezy via the security archive. I'd say there are chances
> that Jessie releases with Firefox instead of Iceweasel.
>
>> To not remove digital restrictions support undermines a
>> major strength of Debian. If people want DRM, they can always download
>> Firefox but they should have a choice for freedom.
>
> There is no need to remove *support* for DRM, as long as it is Free
> Software (according to Debian's definition). Whether to use it (or not)
> must be the choice of the user.

Freedom 0 (zero) if I remember rightly - the freedom to use for any purpose.

I guess the problem is education - most people click "yes, do
everything you possibly can to allow me to watch this popular thing
NOW and don't even THINK about making me think about concepts or
anything I want to be _entertained_ only".

So Gary, how do we handle this problem of lack of educated thinkers?
Cause that's the real problem as I see it.

Regards
Zenaan