[SOLVED] Can't get Apache to display a directory

On Mon, 12 May 2014 20:16:39 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
> One difference that I have not been able to figure out is how to allow access
> to a directory.  I'm not talking about allowing access to the files in the
> directory, I'm talking about access to the directory itself.
> How do I get this to work?

Well, I finally solved this one, but it was by no means simple.  In summary,
here is what I had to do:

In /etc/apache2/apache2.conf, I added the following line at the end of the
file:

   Alias /icons /usr/share/apache2/icons

In /etc/apache2/mods-enabled, I added the following symlinks:

   ln -s ../mods-available/alias.load alias.load
   ln -s ../mods-available/autoindex.conf autoindex.conf
   ln -s ../mods-available/autoindex.load autoindex.load
   ln -s ../mods-available/mime.conf mime.conf
   ln -s ../mods-available/mime.load mime.load

Then, I reloaded the server configuration with

   /etc/init.d/apache2 reload

and refreshed the browser cache with F5.  Apache now displays directories!

BTW, there is an apache2-doc package, which contains the upstream
documentation.  But installation of the package will fail unless you already
have alias.load in mods-enabled and the server has been reloaded.

Thanks to all who responded.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :