Re: Can't get Apache to display a directory

On 05/13/2014 02:16 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
I recently upgraded a back-end server from wheezy to jessie, and with the upgrade,
Apache went from 2.2 to 2.4.  There are a lot of changes to Apache between 2.2
and 2.4, especially in the area of authentications, authorizations, etc.
One difference that I have not been able to figure out is how to allow access
to a directory.  I'm not talking about allowing access to the files in the
directory, I'm talking about access to the directory itself.  On apache2,
for example, if I had a directory called xyz in /var/www, I could type in
the address bar of my browser something like this:

http://my.server.ip.address/xyz

And it would show me a list of files in the xyz directory.  I could then click
on the filename of one of the files in the directory and see that file.
But with the new apache server, I get a "404 - not found" error.  I have
looked at the apache documentation, but cannot figure out how to accomplish
what I want.  How do I get this to work?

Basically, I want a configuration that allows all users to view all documents
and all directories under /var/www/html.  I don't want to have to define
userids or passwords.  No authentication of users will be done.

I think you are looking for:

Require all granted

directive. Had some troubles with it too.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_authz_core.html#require

Best,
Alex