Re: mount inconsistencies

On 5/12/14 8:52 AM, "Jochen Spieker" <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>this looks very weird to me. My wheezy system claims that a filesystem
>is mounted, but the mount directory appears to be empty and umount fails
>because the filesystems is not mounted, after all:
>
>| # grep backup /etc/fstab
>| /dev/mapper/backup-decrypted  /srv/backup  ext4
>noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,noauto,nodelalloc  0 0
>|
>| # mount | grep backup
>| /dev/mapper/backup-decrypted on /srv/backup type ext4
>(rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodelalloc,data=ordered)
>|
>| # df -h /srv/backup/
>| Filesystem                    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>| /dev/mapper/backup-decrypted  2.5T  1.8T  699G  72% /srv/backup
>|
>| # ls -la /srv/backup/
>| total 8
>| drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Oct 21  2011 ./
>| drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Oct 22  2013 ../
>|
>| # umount /srv/backup
>| umount: /srv/backup: not mounted
>
>I don't think it's important, but the filesystem is encrypted using LUKS
>on top of an LVM volume:
>
>| # grep backup /etc/crypttab
>| backup-decrypted        /dev/mapper/backup2-lvol0       none
>        noauto,luks,cipher=aes-cbc-plain:sha256
>
>Interestingly, when I mount /srv/backup again, I can see its contents
>and umount it afterwards. But only once. Complete transcript:
>
>| # mount /srv/backup/
>|
>| # ls /srv/backup/
>| abattoir/  abattoir-winxp/  cupcake/  jigsaw/  lost+found/  mail/
>manowar/  _manual/  xenhost/
>|
>| # mount | grep backup
>| /dev/mapper/backup-decrypted on /srv/backup type ext4
>(rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodelalloc,data=ordered)
>| /dev/mapper/backup-decrypted on /srv/backup type ext4
>(rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodelalloc,data=ordered)
>|
>| # umount /srv/backup
>|
>| # umount /srv/backup
>| umount: /srv/backup: not mounted
>
>Do you have any ideas what's wrong?
>
>Regards,
>J.
>--
>I will not admit to failure even when I know I am terribly mistaken and
>have offended others.
>[Agree]   [Disagree]
>                 <http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>

Has your system recently crashed, or had to be powered down forcefully?

The contents of /etc/mtab may be out of date and reporting conditions that
existed before a forced power down.

On the other hand, if /etc/mtab is a symlink to /proc/mounts, it should be
current.

If /etc/mtab is not a symlink, you may want to make it so.

You can also look at /proc/mounts directly and see what it says.

I'm not sure if any of this will actually help explain any root causes,
but may point in the right direction.

Bob