mount inconsistencies

Hi folks,

this looks very weird to me. My wheezy system claims that a filesystem
is mounted, but the mount directory appears to be empty and umount fails
because the filesystems is not mounted, after all:

| # grep backup /etc/fstab
| /dev/mapper/backup-decrypted  /srv/backup  ext4  noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,noauto,nodelalloc  0 0
|
| # mount | grep backup
| /dev/mapper/backup-decrypted on /srv/backup type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodelalloc,data=ordered)
|
| # df -h /srv/backup/
| Filesystem                    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
| /dev/mapper/backup-decrypted  2.5T  1.8T  699G  72% /srv/backup
|
| # ls -la /srv/backup/
| total 8
| drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Oct 21  2011 ./
| drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Oct 22  2013 ../
|
| # umount /srv/backup
| umount: /srv/backup: not mounted

I don't think it's important, but the filesystem is encrypted using LUKS
on top of an LVM volume:

| # grep backup /etc/crypttab
| backup-decrypted        /dev/mapper/backup2-lvol0       none                    noauto,luks,cipher=aes-cbc-plain:sha256

Interestingly, when I mount /srv/backup again, I can see its contents
and umount it afterwards. But only once. Complete transcript:

| # mount /srv/backup/
|
| # ls /srv/backup/
| abattoir/  abattoir-winxp/  cupcake/  jigsaw/  lost+found/  mail/  manowar/  _manual/  xenhost/
|
| # mount | grep backup
| /dev/mapper/backup-decrypted on /srv/backup type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodelalloc,data=ordered)
| /dev/mapper/backup-decrypted on /srv/backup type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,nodelalloc,data=ordered)
|
| # umount /srv/backup
|
| # umount /srv/backup
| umount: /srv/backup: not mounted

Do you have any ideas what's wrong?

Regards,
J.
--
I will not admit to failure even when I know I am terribly mistaken and
have offended others.