Re: [OT] How long is an unused HD 'new'?

On 5/13/14, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-05-12 at 16:56 +0000, Curt wrote:

>> > http://www.ngohq.com/news/19805-critical-design-flaw-found-in-wd-caviar-green-hdds.html

>>  until Ralf spoke of it here (and my
>> drive had over 500,000  Load_Cycle_Count thingamajiggers--"smartctl
>> /dev/sda -a | grep Load_Cycle").
>>
>> I used the idle3ctl tool and turned the "feature" off completely (but
>> this
>> ain't no production server, or whatever you people call them).
>
> Assumed the drive is behind an USB controller and there should be no way
> to open the case, then, when using GNOME, MATE, XFCE, replacing GVFS by
> a dummy package could help. But it doesn't help always, from time to
> time some other software wakes up the sleeping drive.

ISTR an old phrase my grandfather spoke:
For the love of gvfs is the root of all evil.

Or something like that.

I remember earlier this year purging gvfs from my systems, since it
interferes chronically with encrypted mounts - putting random .meta
files _inside_ the mount, and making it difficult (to impossible,
since I never found the answer), to do something basic, like, oh,
that's right, UNMOUNT!

So grab your torches and pitchforks folks!
We got ourselves a royal gvfs purgin' ta do!

:)