Re: Kernel fails to detect internal hard drives after routine apt-get upgrade

O, 12.05.2014:
> Hi Stan et al.,
>
> Booting from the working kernel, I have dumped dmesg here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/MBTDfgc4
>
> I tried to save dmesg booting under the 3.2.0-4_amd64 kernel from within
> initramfs, to no avail (I cannot mount usb drives to save the information,
> and it does not see the network).  However, when I added "debug" to the
> kernel line in the boot command, I was at least able to see the system
> messages while the errors were happening.  Here is the relevant block of
> text, and sas is involved:
>
> ata7: sas eh calling libata port error handler
> sas: sas_ata_hard_reset: Unable to reset I T nexus?
> sas: sas_ata_hard_reset: Found ATA device
> sas: sas_ata_hard_reset: Unable to soft reset
> sas: sas_ata_hard_reset: Found ATA device
> ata7: reset failed (errno=-11) retrying in 10 secs
>
> Searching the web for "Unable to reset I T nexus" led me to this thread:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1912604
>
> ... which was posted a short time ago and appears to be the identical
> problem.  However, I am struggling to understand what I should do in
> response.  It seems to be saying that my hardware and its drivers are too
> "new" for Wheezy, even though this machine is 2 yrs old??   Does this mean
> I have to upgrade to Jessie?

I happened to notice the following bug report while updating last week:

Basically, it seems like people solved this by booting from a rescue
disk and downgrading to an older kernel.

After you fix your system, I recommend installing the apt-listbugs
package.  That's what showed me the bug report while updating.