Kernel fails to detect internal hard drives after routine apt-get upgrade

Dear debian-users,

A first-time post for me: I've never had a problem that was so serious.

I've had Wheezy installed for many months now with default kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64.  Following a routine apt-get upgrade, the kernel cannot detect any of the internal drives.  After many "ata#: reset failed, giving up" and "udevd: timeout" errors, I am dropped to an initramfs Busybox prompt that cannot see any drives (fdisk -l sees nothing).

Interestingly, I *can* boot into the old Squeeze kernel (2.7.x).  >From booting under the old kernel, I have tried:

# apt-get remove linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64
# apt-get install linux-image-amd64

# cd /boot; update-initramfs -k 3.2.0-4-amd64 -u

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade

All to no avail.  Interestingly, even the Debian 7.5 netinst CD will not see the drives, and asks me to select a driver (it makes no suggestions).  When I drop to a prompt in recovery mode (another BusyBox prompt), fdisk -l does not see any drives.

There is nothing exotic about my drives: they are four Western Digital 2 TB internal hard drives.

This one has me stumped.  I hope someone can help.  Please let me know if there is additional information I should post, or if there is somewhere else that I should be posting instead.  I would appreciate any leads.

Thanks!