Re: Kernel fails to detect internal hard drives after routine apt-get upgrade

Hi Stan et al.,

Booting from the working kernel, I have dumped dmesg here:

http://pastebin.com/MBTDfgc4

I tried to save dmesg booting under the 3.2.0-4_amd64 kernel from within initramfs, to no avail (I cannot mount usb drives to save the information, and it does not see the network).  However, when I added "debug" to the kernel line in the boot command, I was at least able to see the system messages while the errors were happening.  Here is the relevant block of text, and sas is involved:

ata7: sas eh calling libata port error handler
sas: sas_ata_hard_reset: Unable to reset I T nexus?
sas: sas_ata_hard_reset: Found ATA device
sas: sas_ata_hard_reset: Unable to soft reset
sas: sas_ata_hard_reset: Found ATA device
ata7: reset failed (errno=-11) retrying in 10 secs

Searching the web for "Unable to reset I T nexus" led me to this thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1912604

... which was posted a short time ago and appears to be the identical problem.  However, I am struggling to understand what I should do in response.  It seems to be saying that my hardware and its drivers are too "new" for Wheezy, even though this machine is 2 yrs old??   Does this mean I have to upgrade to Jessie?

Thanks,