Re: Can't boot after harddrive replacement

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sun, May 11, 2014, at 01:03 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
>> Hi Itay,
>>
>> maybe it is  a problem with the UUID. Just check on the new harddrive the
>> file
>> /etc/fstab, if there is an UUID set for the harddrive.
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> Comment ALL lines beginning with UUID= and add the physical partition
>> like in
>> my example beginning with /dev/sdaX whatever.
>>
>> Then you should be able to reboot.
>
> Hmmmm... I neglected to mention in the list of actions taken that I did
> edit the would-be /etc/fstab -- exactly as you recommended.
> I was able to mount the new file systems (this was required for file
> copying).
> I will double check /etc/fstab just in case.
>
>> I guess, you already have a bootloader installed, mostly grub or grub2.
>> If
>> not, Debian installer DVD may help, or use my favourite choice
>> Super-Grub-
>> Disk-2.
>>

> Indeed I had grub2 installed.
> Given that I repopulated the new disk manually, by a series of rsync
> commands, I suspect that I failed copying some of the critical boot
> data.  But how to identify that?

This seems like a kind of obvious question, but can you still mount
the old drive to run recursive diffs? start with  /boot and /etc, for
instance.

Another thing you need to check is whether rsync successfully
replicated the metadata appropriately. Some essential servers will
refuse to run if the permissions are too loose or the owner:group is
incorrect.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.