Re: Cron 101: Cron message "/bin/sh: root: command not found"

On Sun, 11 May 2014 10:37:31 +0100
Ron Leach <ronleach@tesco.net> wrote:

> I'm missing some aspect of cron configuration, or perhaps some other
> cron file somewhere.  root doesn't have a /home directory, so there
> isn't a crontab in it, and the only user existing on the system
> doesn't have a crontab in its home directory, either.

Look in /var/spool/cron/crontabs. That is the location of the per-user
crontabs.

If someone copied the line

17 *  * * *	root	cd / && run-parts--report /etc/cron.hourly

in there, you would get the error you mentioned, because root will be
interpretet as the command to run, because these crontabs have a
different format.