Re: Can't boot after harddrive replacement

On Sun, May 11, 2014, at 01:03 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hi Itay,
>
> maybe it is  a problem with the UUID. Just check on the new harddrive the
> file
> /etc/fstab, if there is an UUID set for the harddrive.

[snip]

> Comment ALL lines beginning with UUID= and add the physical partition
> like in
> my example beginning with /dev/sdaX whatever.
>
> Then you should be able to reboot.

Hmmmm... I neglected to mention in the list of actions taken that I did
edit the would-be /etc/fstab -- exactly as you recommended.
I was able to mount the new file systems (this was required for file
copying).
I will double check /etc/fstab just in case.

> I guess, you already have a bootloader installed, mostly grub or grub2.
> If
> not, Debian installer DVD may help, or use my favourite choice
> Super-Grub-
> Disk-2.

Indeed I had grub2 installed.
Given that I repopulated the new disk manually, by a series of rsync
commands, I suspect that I failed copying some of the critical boot
data.  But how to identify that?

Many thanks,
Itay