Can't boot after harddrive replacement

Hi

Old disk was 300GB and failing.  New is 1TB.
I replaced the old harddrive and made few steps to copy the system back to the new drive (see below).
Obviously I missed something as the system does not boot.  BIOS comes up alright.

I'd appreciate any help in identifying what needs to be done.
My hope is to avoid reinstalling and reconfiguring the system altogether.

I guess that I overlooked something with the boot files, but what and how to remedy this?

Summary of steps

1. Using rsync -aHq I backed up most of the file system (excluding /proc, /sys, /run, /srv, and /tmp)

2. After replacing the harddrive, I used the live cd, to manually set up the partition table with the same logical structure as the old one:

/dev/sda1 : boot (ext2).  Boot flag was set 'on'.
/dev/sda2 : root (ext3)
/dev/sda3 : swap
/dev/sda5 - /dev/sda9 : physical volumes making up a single volume group. (name: "vg").

I prepared separate logical volumes (in "vg") to store the would-be /usr, /usr/local, /home, /tmp, and /var trees, and several other private file-trees.

3. Using the backup and rsync I populated the would be file-trees /boot, /, /usr, /usr/local, and /home.

4. Reboot, eject live cd: BIOS comes up, but nothing follows.

Thanks in advance,
Itay