Re: Can't boot after harddrive replacement

On Sun, May 11, 2014, at 01:39 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:

[snip]

> > Indeed I had grub2 installed.
> > Given that I repopulated the new disk manually, by a series of rsync
> > commands, I suspect that I failed copying some of the critical boot
> > data.  But how to identify that?
>
> This seems like a kind of obvious question, but can you still mount
> the old drive to run recursive diffs? start with  /boot and /etc, for
> instance.

Hi,

It's a small form factor computer so I can install only one hard drive
at a time.  The diff would have to be done in two steps: old vs. backup,
and then backup vs. new hdd.  So it will take time until I have results.

> Another thing you need to check is whether rsync successfully
> replicated the metadata appropriately. Some essential servers will
> refuse to run if the permissions are too loose or the owner:group is
> incorrect.

IIRC diff should be able to report on differences in file meta data.
Please note that it's a home desktop: no special services are running; I
did not impose (knowingly) any security steps beyond the defaults
provided during installation.
(Unfortunately I am far from being experienced system-administrator -- I
am merely a user who likes using debian at home...)

Many thanks,
Itay