Confusion

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses - even from those who can't resist the opportunity for rudeness.

(I do NOT use microsoft windows in any form,)

I confess to much ignorance of technical detail - despite 45 years as a computer support engineer, programmer and technical writer, I still find a lot of stuff hard to grasp. ie. I am old and lazy and think GUI is a gift from heaven. So would you, if you'd started out punching ten words of machine code onto paper tape in order to start up a mainframe system - long before there was any form of visual display.

Like Joel, I have many dark corners of stupid in my brain - and they may be multiplying.

I have used GNU Linux for years - trying out several distros, all by downloading the Iso file and writing to CD. Ubuntu, Slackware, Puppy, and Gnewsense all install just fine after simply right-clicking on the file and selecting write to CD. No clever stuff with the terminal - just point and click. But this time it just doesn't work.

For those who didn't notice, I downloaded the file twice, making two CD's from the first download and one from the second - just in case anything was corrupted. All the CD's can be opened and their contents displayed - and all files in readable form can be read.

I would happily stay with Gnewsense but since I recently installed the latest version, I can't get a couple of much used applications that worked perfectly with the previous version to run. So I thought I'd try Debian instead, using exactly the same process, on the same machine, that I used to successfully install Gnewsense.

This is not rocket science. It's not an abstruse technical problem - it must be plain old dumbass misunderstanding by me.

Doesn't anyone have a simple answer?

Josh