free space before the first and after the last partition if GPT partition scheme is used

Hi,

DebianInstaller shows "FREE SPACE" before the first partition and
after the last partition if GPT scheme is used:
http://i.imgur.com/qjNrdAx.jpg While there is nothing wrong with that
as there is indeed some free space before the first partition and
after the last partition(http://i.imgur.com/4BlDQx7.jpg), such
information is not displayed if I choose the MBR partitioning
scheme(http://i.imgur.com/x4Ycl9q.jpg) while actually modern MBR
editors(for example newer fdisk versions) should start the first
partition also from sector 2048.

1) Am I correct that technically DebianInstaller should display the
"FREE SPACE" area before the first partition also in case the MBR
partition scheme is chosen?

2) Am I correct that boot loaders use their code on this area after
the primary GPT and before the first partition?

3) Are the last 689 sectors after the last partition used for storing
the backup GPT?

regards,
Martin