Re: Personal Recommendations for Free List Compatible Email Service

On 23/04/14 22:56, Lisi Reisz wrote:> On Wednesday 23 April 2014
13:22:25 Henning Follmann wrote:

>>> I don't know how useful such marketing info will be on
>>> correspondence from a few technically oriented mail lists.
>>> Google probably gets way better info from Chrome. ;-)  Although
>>> from the ads I see, I think the algorithm is very badly broken.
>>> It has yet to correctly determine even my gender.
>>
>> So you think they only look at the content of the mail? They can
>> read that already without you having an account with them. Or do
>> they track - how often and when you check your mail - how often you
>> reply - the location from where you are checking?
>>
>> The algorithm is not broken. It is big data. That is the crux with
>> statistics there is no factual link between cause and effects. It's
>> just hedging you bets. So you don't fit their statistical modeling.
>> Good (or bad) for you. Here is the scary part, they actually might
>> know more about your future than you do and the ads are dead on.
>> You yet do not even know about your sex change in two years ;)
>
> I don't get any ads.

That's a fact.
But this thread is now about Confirmation Bias. So your facts, like many
other facts, are both irrelevant, and (simultaneously) further proof of
The Evil Plan(TM) - that's "The" Evil Plan, singular, not the "multiple
shades of grey, evil is subjective, plan". Which may seem contradictory
and illogical but...(sigh).

> Lisi

Kind regards