Re: Personal Recommendations for Free List Compatible Email Service

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 10:04:31PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2014, Henning Follmann wrote:

> > > I didn't want all the headaches of Google+ (something I'll NEVER use
> > > or participate in) just for an email account.

> > > It was a price I was unwilling to pay.

> > > Well, I've done a little research, and have found I can have both
> > > free beer and free speech. You can get a "free" gmail account
> > > without Google+.
> > >
> > Errrrrrrr. Wrong.
> > You pay with being spied on for marketing purposes.
>
> I don't know how useful such marketing info will be on correspondence
> from a few technically oriented mail lists.  Google probably gets way
> better info from Chrome. ;-)  Although from the ads I see, I think
> the algorithm is very badly broken.  It has yet to correctly determine
> even my gender.

So you think they only look at the content of the mail?
They can read that already without you having an account with them.
Or do they track
- how often and when you check your mail
- how often you reply
- the location from where you are checking?

The algorithm is not broken. It is big data. That is the crux with
statistics there is no factual link between cause and effects. It's just
hedging you bets. So you don't fit their statistical modeling. Good (or
bad) for you. Here is the scary part, they actually might know more about
your future than you do and the ads are dead on. You yet do not even know
about your sex change in two years ;)

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com