Re: SASL auth failure dovecot/postfix

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 07:36:55PM +0100, Tazman Deville wrote:

> There are few users on either server, and all I've tested are unable to
> send mail.
> In both servers, there is 1 mail DB for both dovecot and postfix, yes.

If both dovecot and postfix are using the same authentication mechanism
it's very odd that only one of them works.

>  tail history.log for one of the servers:
>
>  Start-Date: 2014-03-04  15:30:45
>  Upgrade: mariadb-server:i386 (5.5.35+maria-1~wheezy,

While exploring this I've discovered that there are no Debian packages
of mariadb except in sid. Which repository are you using for these
packages, Arch?

My best guess about the timing of the failure would be that while
mysql/mariadb was upgraded on the 4th, the service wasn't actually
restarted until you were having the load issues.

>  Ah! Perhaps this will be useful.
>  I just logged in with mutt, received mail, and tried to send one
>  message, and get this from tail auth.log:
>
>  Mar 11 19:33:32 myownsite postfix/smtpd[32642]: sql plugin Parse the
>  username taz@liberame.org
>  Mar 11 19:33:32 myownsite postfix/smtpd[32642]: sql plugin try and
>  connect to a host
>  Mar 11 19:33:32 myownsite postfix/smtpd[32642]: sql plugin trying to
>  open db 'mail' on host '127.0.0.1'
>  Mar 11 19:33:32 myownsite saslauthd[1850]: PAM unable to
>  dlopen(pam_mysql.so): /lib/security/pam_mysql.so: symbol
>  make_scrambled_password, version libmysqlclient_18 not defined in file
>  libmysqlclient.so.18 with link time reference
>  Mar 11 19:33:32 myownsite saslauthd[1850]: PAM adding faulty module:
>  pam_mysql.so
>  Mar 11 19:33:32 myownsite saslauthd[1850]: DEBUG: auth_pam:
>  pam_authenticate failed: Module is unknown
>  Mar 11 19:33:32 myownsite saslauthd[1850]: do_auth         : auth
>  failure: [user=taz@liberame.org] [service=smtp] [realm=liberame.org]
>  [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]
>  Mar 11 19:33:37 myownsite mutt: DIGEST-MD5 common mech free
>  Mar 11 19:33:40 myownsite sudo:   tazman : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/var/log ;
>  USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/tail auth.log
>  Mar 11 19:33:40 myownsite sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened
>  for user root by tazman(uid=0)

If pam_mysql support has been dropped in the latest version of mariadb,
you could try running an older version which does have support.
Alternatively you could find out what mechanisms the new version
supports and change your system accordingly.

Downgrading packages can be tricky, and since I don't know the
dependency tree around mariadb I won't be able to help there. One option
would be to remove mariadb and anything that has a hard dependency on
it, get the required previous versions from the archives (you probably
still have them in /var/cache/apt/), install them by dpkg and set them
to hold status. Make sure you have good backups before doing any of
that.

Cheers,
Tom

--
You will always get the greatest recognition for the job you least like.