Re: SASL auth failure dovecot/postfix

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 04:22:45PM +0100, Tazman Deville wrote:

> They both use mysql (well, mariadb) auth for both dovecot and postfix.
> I have confirmed that I can connect to the DB on either server with the
> mail admin account configured in postfix.
> Yet, I can not send mail.

Do they connect to the same database for authentication against both
dovecot and postfix? Can you connect to the database as a normal user?
How many users are having the problem?

> As far as I recall, postfix was not updated yesterday.
> Nor was mariadb, dovecot, or anything else I can imagine is significant
> here. Aside from mail, the servers have slightly different software
> installed. One received 1 update, the other 3.
> I do not believe they were the same at all (as in the 1 update one the
> first server was not the same as any of the 3 on the other).

It might help to know exactly which packages were updated -
/var/log/apt/{history,term}.log and /var/log/dpkg.log
should have the information.

> Still, they're having apparently identical problems now, and the only
> thing that has changed on either since they were working was running the
> aptitude updates.
> All the logs seem to be telling me is that SASL auth is failing,
> which I know. They do not tell me why or wherein lies the failure.

Does /var/log/auth.log have any further details?

Cheers,
Tom