SASL auth failure dovecot/postfix

I have two servers, both running wheezy with dovecot/postfix for mail.
They were both sending/receiving mail fine 24 hours ago.
Now neither is.
On one, I've done nothing to alter anything with either postfix or
dovecot in the last 24 hours.
On the other, I generated a new smtpd.key and smptd.crt for postfix,
restarted postfix and dovecot...and I thought I'd done something wrong,
until I found that the other server is also having the same problem.

On both servers, I ran aptitude updates yesterday.
I generally update them both weekly.
They were both sending/receiving mail fine before that.
They seem to both receive, but not send mail now.

I can only assume something from aptitude updates broke my mail servers.
How do I diagnose and resolve this matter?

taz
--
http://taz.liberame.org