Re: Debian repository available on USB flash rather than CD/DVD sets?

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 13:40:32 +0000
Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:

> Andrei wrote:
> >On Vi, 21 feb 14, 18:56:44, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> >>
> >> Andrei's suggestion arose because I was contemplating on how to
> >> expand the (ISO9660 or whatever) filesystem that would end up on
> >> the USB stick.
> >>
> >> Anyway, in hindsight, you can simply create your own jigdo image,
> >> big enough to contain the entire Debian repository:
> >>
> >> apt-cache search jigdo
> >>
> >> and check out the packages for creation of jigdo image. That sounds
> >> like an appealing solution to me. Create quick-and-simple full
> >> local repo, then sign the repo with your own signature (this last
> >> step should be pretty easy, once you know how :)
> >
> >AFAIU jigdo is meant to take an ISO image to pieces and reassemble
> >it. It is not an image creator (hence the suggestion from Steve for
> >a wishlist bug against debian-cd, the image creation tool).
>
> You're correct, yes.

copying from man jigdo-file:
   CUSTOMIZED VERSIONS OF IMAGES
       Because it is possible to assign a different URI for each part
of an image if necessary, jigdo is very flexible. Only one example is
the possibility of  customized  versions  of images: Suppose that
someone is distributing a CD image, and that you want to make a few
small changes to it and redis‐ tribute your own version. You download
the `official.iso' CD image with jigdo (passing it the URL of
`official.jigdo'), write it to CD-R, make  your changes  (say, adding
files from the `myfiles' directory on your harddisc) and produce your
own version, `myversion.iso'.  Next, you instruct jigdo- file to create
the jigdo and template files for your modified image, using the command

              jigdo-file make-template
              --image=myversion.iso /mnt/cdrom/  myfiles//  --label
              My=myfiles/  --uri  My=http://my.homepage.net/
              --merge=offi‐ cial.jigdo while `official.iso' is mounted
              under `/mnt/cdrom'. By using --merge, you have told
              jigdo-file to take the contents of `official.jigdo', add
              to it a new `[Image]' section for `myversion.iso' and
              write the resulting jigdo file to `myversion.jigdo' - so
              now `myversion.jigdo' offers two  images  for download,
              the  original  version  and your modified version. (If
              you do not want it to offer the official version, edit it
              and remove the `[Image]' section that lists
              `official.iso'.)

       Now you can upload the `.jigdo' file, the `.template' file and
       also the files in `myfiles' to `http://my.homepage.net/'.  Thus,
       for people to  down‐ load your modified image, you do not need
       to upload the complete image contents to your web space, but
       only the changes you made!

       (In  case  you only made very few changes, you could also omit
       the `myfiles' parameter in the command above, then all your
       changes end up in the new template file.)

it sounds like it should be possible to start with the first iso image
which IS bootable, and then mount the other ISOs and mark them as to be
added to the disk.  whether the install media would recognize the other
files on the USB or not is another question, but it might work.