Re: Re: Old software in debian allowed?

Le 21.02.2014 21:07, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
If you only need to build a package for yourself, it must be something
similar to that, you should try

# apt-get source FOO_BAR
# apt-get build-dep FOO_BAR
# mv -vi FOO_BAR-xy/ FOO_BAR-pq
# wget FOO_BAR'S_NEW_SOURCE_FROM_UPSTREAM
# tar xvjf FOO_BAR-...
# cd FOO_BAR-...
# gedit debian/changelog
# gedit debian/rules
# libtoolize --force --copy --automake
# aclocal
# autoreconf
# debuild -b -us -uc
# dpkg -i

if this shouldn't work, try to compile the most common way, configure,
make, make install, but replace make only or make and make install by
checkinstall

# ./configure
# checkinstall --install=no
# dpkg -i

I did some tries, too. Not with the intent to do something clean enough to send into debian, but it works well enough to be distributed ( for a lib I needed in a software that I never finished to write, btw. Still have the sources, which are still free too, so maybe some day...) .

What you need to know are the dependencies of the software you compiled. With those informations, you can write a "control" file in a DEBIAN subdirectory located where you have the binaries.
This file is made with at least those lines ( it worked for me(tm) ):
Package: <package's name>
Version: <package's version>
Section: <package's section, aca, for example, lib, admin, devel...>

When you have the folder DEBIAN with a correct "control" file, you can go in the parent's directory of your future package, and run, as root "#dpkg-deb -b <package's folder>" which will build your .deb file.

This method does not use a lot of deb's features, but it makes a deb package that can be used and is not too hard to follow. I had automated some of those tasks in some shell scripts, too.