Re: grub efi does not find windows

Le 06.02.2014 22:09, Tom H a écrit :
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:56 AM, <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
Le 05.02.2014 13:53, Tom H a écrit :
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 3:28 AM, <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
Le 02.02.2014 23:27, berenger.morel@neutralite.org a écrit :
Le 02.02.2014 21:46, Tom H a écrit :

Regarding the partitions, a gpt label allows 128 primary partitions by
default. So MS using 4 isn't a problem.

GPT, yes. MBR, no. And the computers that I've seen always used MBR. To be more precise, I just learn about GPTs now, thanks to you :) they sound quite
interesting, I'll read more about them later.

Just to be clear:

a gpt-labeled disk has 128 (primary) partitions by default

an msdos-labled disk has at most 4 primary partitions

a uefi windows system has a gpt-labeled disk

So bad I can not experiment with anymore, but I am sure that Debian installer refused to create another partition before I removed some. Maybe I have misinterpreted the message... pebcak is always possible, and often probable :)

# gdisk /dev/sda
Command (? for help): i
Partition number (1-2): 1
Partition GUID code: C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B (EFI System)

"C12A7328-..." is a unique UID that corresponds to the ESP; and, AIUI,
is the way that the firmware identifies the ESP.

Here it is, but as you said, things seems to no longer be here:

Command (? for help): i
Partition number (1-11): 1
Partition GUID code: EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 (Microsoft basic
data)

Things are more or less the same for all partitions, except that some
partitions are "linux swap" or "linux filesystem".

And I can see no "(EFI System)" anywhere.

I don't understand where your original ESP was but we'll never know...

Since you ( or someone else, I'm not sure) said that it can only be on FAT32, then it must have been on the FAT partition dedicated to HP tools. I was really surprised when I have seen a FAT partition, to be honest, but I only thought that it may be for people which does not use windows... Yes I know, it's stupid... maybe it was there, but in that case, what the hell is the interest of a 1GB NTFS partition? I'll know this when I'll have another HP computer with a working windows to tinker with, I guess. Since then, I'll have to learn how to integrate a pure Debian system into a pure MS network. I guess it's not that bad, at least I'll learn new stuff about my favorite system, and new things about system administration. I prefer to drink into a glass which is half full than half empty ;)